Saturday, July 24, 2010

Blue Bonnet Bakery

Follow the red brick road of Camp Bowie to Blue Bonnet Bakery. The minute I pulled in front of this bakery and saw gift bags with tissue bouquets lining the sills of the large windows which were trimmed with a white lace etched border, I was smiling. I didn’t have to open the door to know this bakery was my kind of place. Yes, that was indeed confirmed when my foot stepped onto the black and white checkered floor. The bakery cases were long and full of cookies…lots and lots of cookies! I made my way down to the end that displayed the morning pastries searching for something unique. I pointed to one roll with a crumbled topping and asked what it was, and the woman behind the counter broke into a big smile while raising her eyebrows to indicate I had chosen a favorite. She barely got the words out of her mouth, “Cream Cheese Roll..,” and I had nodded my head yes. I took my time strolling to the other side where the register was, taking in all the goodies along my way…cookies, cupcakes, doughnuts, cakes…not enough time or appetite in the day to experience all this bakery has to offer. Upon paying for my roll and coffee, this gracious employee asked if I would like a cup of ice for my bottled water that I had carried in. I declined but told her that I would be eating my roll in the dining area and would like a fork if one was available. She offered to warm up my roll, put it on a tray and served it up with a fork AND knife. I filled my coffee cup at the coffee station (there’s also juice, milk and water available) with cinnamon coffee and made my way into the adjacent room where country kitchen style tables and chairs were available. I sat down at a long wooden table that was pushed up against a wall that was covered in awards bestowed upon this bakery. As I poked my fork into the warm roll, crumbles (think coffee cake topping) rolled along the side, and the aroma of cinnamon tickled my nose. The roll was scrumptious with the flavors of yeast and cinnamon paired with cream cheese, how could one not devour it? And that I did all the while washing it down with my fresh cup of coffee. The other wall in the dining area had black and white photos which were shot in their kitchen  and framed adding a very classic touch to this vintage feel of a bakery. After finishing my last bite, I returned to the case to take another look as well as browse their gift section of cards, napkins…oh, and there’s another tall case near the window to show off lovely whole cakes and pies. As I sit here typing, I’m wishing for a slice of that fluffy meringue pie I had eyed. As I left, I looked up at a chalkboard hanging in the window and sighed, “Oh no!” The board says that Blue Bonnet Bakery will be relocating down the road. So, if you want to experience this current location, you better head over soon. I guess I have a good reason to visit again…blog about the new location along with a new pastry! Yum!

http://www.bluebonnetbakery.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment