Friday, July 16, 2010

Society Bakery


With plenty of media hype including being voted The Ellen Degeneres Show's Top 10 Best Cupcakes, it was time for me to take a little trip to Lower Greenville where Society Bakery calls home. To be real honest, I was a bit cynical over all the press they have received. I would be the judge on whether or not Society Bakery deserves all this attention. I pulled my car along the side street for parking and made my way around the corner of the old brick building where I entered the door of Society Bakery. The bakery is a small space that shares an open-door policy with neighbor Corner Market. One could easily grab a treat from the bakery and walk into the deli for a coffee without ever having to go outside. I knew that I definately wanted to try a Whoopie Pie, so I ordered up the Red Velvet Whoopie and relied on one of the sweet employees to suggest a favorite cupcake flavor for me to try. After a few seconds of thinking she points to Key Lime telling me that it is only available in July. Perfect! I like having a flavor that is limited time only, and Key Lime sounded fitting for a hot summer day. I grabbed my box of goodies and walked outside to sit at a sidewalk table. I didn't feel much like having a coffee, and Society Bakery didn't exactly have indoor seating. My table was shaded, so it wasn't too terribly hot, and without hesitation I opened my bakery box with curiosity as if opening a treasure chest for the first time. I've been told how "valuable" the contents are, but I really needed to see for myself. Society Bakery has a sign posted at the register asking customers not to take pictures, so I had to snap a shot of my sweet "treasures" outside. I chose to taste the Red Velvet Whoopie Pie first. If it tasted half as good as it looked, I would be pleased. I tore off a piece and popped it in my mouth...uh huh...okay...and finally, YUM!! Cream cheese frosting dolloped between two moist cakes offering the most scrumptious combination you could imagine. Light, fluffy and even better than it looked. I have to say, I certainly wanted to let out a "Whoopie!!!" for this Whoopie Pie! After dusting off the crumbs from my fingers (unforunately, there were no forks and napkins), I moved on to the Key Lime cupcake. It was big, a bit lopsided and spilling over, giving it a little muffin top look. I knew it had to be delish after tasting the delectable whoopie pie. Well, one bite of this lime-flavored cupcake proved me right...as well as proving the media blitz right. Yes, this cupcake was moist with just the right balance of sweet and tart. The bar had been raised. Oh, but wait, there's more! The center of this cupcake was hiding treasure of its own...a Key Lime filling oozed out! Are you kidding me? I didn't care who was watching me as I worked every bite of that cupcake in my mouth...fingers covered in Key Lime filling. It didn't matter if it was 10 degrees or 110 degrees outside, my senses were so enthralled in this summertime flavor of a cupcake that I was unaware of anything else. So, does Society Bakery deserve all the media hype? Absolutely. First of all, the treasures I indulged in were off-the-charts delicious! Secondly, the name Society Bakery actually stands for giving back to society, which is what the owner truly believes in. You can visit Society Bakery's website to view the long list of charities they contribute to...without the tax break! Society Bakery, you are definately a treasure chest of great worth! I'll be visiting again and again and again!
www.societybakery.com

1 comment: