Monday, July 12, 2010

Thunder Prairie Baking Company



I was excited to visit Thunder Prairie Baking Company after reading about it online. As a matter of fact, it was my one bakery I had actually noted in my planner to visit when in OKC. European style? I'm there! So, this morning I made my way to Midtown in OKC to the Plaza Court Building off of 10th Street on Classen. Another brick warehouse building housing several different places, I drove up to the front of Thunder Prairie. I could hardly wait to see for myself if this bakery was indeed what their website described. I stepped into the cafe and smiled as I recognized the antique brass floor lamps from the online pictures. The wooden bakery cases told you that you were in for a real "treat" for sure. One case displayed cookies, brownies, pastries of different sorts. The other display revealed a large Red Velvet Cake and jumbo Red Velvet Cake Balls which made me ask myself if it really was too early in the morning to enjoy a slice of cake. I had to remind myself that my intent was to try the Chocolate Croissant, so I stuck with my original plan and tacked on a Chocolate Chip Cookie to my order as well as a Mocha. I took my plate of goodies and sat at the nearest table that offered me the best view of this cafe. I wanted to take it all in. Old music played softly overhead which I love for a cafe. I got up to retrieve my coffee and was impressed with the cinnamon swirl on top...nice touch! While the cafe felt new and clean, Thunder Prairie stayed true to the old cafe feel. I watched as a customer walked in and grabbed a fresh baguette from the basket which was setting between the counters on a display. Other breads were displayed in baskets behind the counter with labels tempting you to buy each one. How can one pass up fresh breads? Above the counter were three chalkboard menues...Breakfast, Sandwiches, Salads. I studied them and thought, what a wonderful place to stop in for lunch. But, it was morning, and I had a croissant in front of me waiting to be tasted. The crust was flaky and had a nice powdered sugar coat, the center oozed with chocolate? Now, I believe I know where the best croissants are (a Texas spot I'll soon share), so no other croissant can measure up. However, TPBC's spin on the flaky pastry was satisfying. I sipped my mocha and found it to be average. Certainly not a place I would visit just for the lattes. The cookie was fresh, soft full of chocolate chips - yummy! The feel of the place and the menu boards would certainly get me to visit again. And, the fact that everything is made fresh daily is reason enough to frequent this artisan bakery. Also, handmade signs were posted at the door that gave specials to those in the Legal profession would receive 30% off their order on Tuesdays and Wednesdays were "Scrub Day" (those in the medical profession, in case you missed that one). Now that's community, and I give a thumbs up to TPBC for this! Also, if you're not like me and don't carry a book with you, there are newspapers, magazines and books available by the front door. I'm glad I discovered Thunder Prairie Baking Company, and I look forward to having lunch there on my next OKC visit.

http://www.prairiethunderbaking.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment