Friday, July 9, 2010

Cuppies and Joe



One of my favorite movies is The Love Letter set in a charming little town of Loblolly-by-the-Sea in New England. Every time I watch it, I imagine myself right there in the bookstore sharing a latte with Kate Capshaw's character. Let me tell you, I have found a little cupcake cafe that gives me the same charmed feeling. Cuppies and Joe in Oklahoma City is tucked away on 23rd Street in a small, renovated house that has plenty of charm and a welcoming spirit. There is outdoor seating on a roomy front deck. But how can one pass up the essence of the indoors? A pleasant bell rings as you open the front door of this old house. The front room has a comfy sofa and some chairs situated in a conversational layout as you walk through to make your way to the bakery counter. I love this! The fact that you walk into another room to order makes this place all the more inviting. And it's not your typical dessert case...this case looks like it jumped right from the pages of Country Living Magazine and is topped with their framed award of being voted the best dessert, bakery and cupcakes in OKC next to a glass cake dome with a few delish cupcakes. On the other side is a crocheted cupcake that just adds that vintage flavor to your ordering experience. A wonderful selection of cupcakes with unique names such as, Sass-a-frass, Lemony Snicket, Sammy G (this one has a history behind it which you are encouraged to ask about) await you. I chose The Traveler. The pleasant Cupcake Counter Gal pops it into the microwave as I order a Chai Tea Latte...did I fail to mention this is also a coffee house? The ladies are all dressed in retro-vintage dresses, adding great personality to your ordering experience. I grabbed my cuppie and joe and sat at a rustic red vintage table. This table offered me a view of the lovely cupcake display case. Great classic music played in the background reminding me once again of my movie...think "I'm In The Mood For Love". My cupcake was served on a plate with a fork, napkins were  by the serve yourself coffee station (for regular coffee-lovers). Local artists provided their framed photographs that looked French-inspired with a price tag next to each on the walls. I dove right in with my fork pressing through the brownie textured cupcake that was topped with chocolate buttercream frosting. I was pleasantly surprised to discover a gooey chocolate center. I could not put my fork down until every bit of the cupcake was devoured, and I'm ashamed to admit scraping the liner with my fork to grab the last of the crumbs. It certainly left me satisfied, and I enjoyed every bite! But, the real "icing on the cake" was the fabulous Chai Latte served in a big vintage mug. Oh. My. Gosh. It was divine, and I would certainly bypass any coffee joint along the way just to enjoy another Chai Latte at Cuppies and Joe. I was able to sit and enjoy my book, watch other customers' excited expressions as they placed their orders. And I just enjoyed looking around, taking in the pleasantries which surrounded me. You are asked to bus your own tables, and I found that every customer abided by this rule, as did I, putting my dishes in the bin...not minding one bit! If you find yourself in OKC, be sure to make your way to Cuppies and Joe.

http://www.cuppiesandjoe.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment