Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Patty Cakes


Having driven by Patty Cakes a number of times while going through downtown Grapevine, I decided today would be the day I actually stop in. Although I didn't have much of a sweet tooth, curiosity got the best of me. I opened the door to reveal the mystery of Patty Cakes...a fairly roomy bakery with dessert cases showing off their creations of cupcakes, cookies, cake balls, chocolates. To the left of me were book cases lined with cookbooks and what looked to be Tootsie Pop bouquets blooming in flower pots. The bakery was inviting, and I was greeted by the owner who described the flavors of beautiful cupcakes before me. I chose the standard vanilla cupcake with vanilla frosting and sprinkled with little white beads which I guessed to be candy, perhaps chocolate. The cupcake looked almost shabby chic, and I was looking for something more traditional in a treat today. I was served this cake topped with a Dairy Queen-style swirl of icing and directed toward the small caddy that offered forks and napkins...kudos to you, Patty Cakes, for thinking of this! There were a couple of large high-top tables, two smaller settees facing one another divided by a small table. I opted for the small wrought iron bistro set with a glass table top. My cupcake looked too pretty to eat, but that didn't stop me from sinking my fork into the thick icing and toward the cake liner scooping up a rather large first bite. The cupcake, just like the feel of the bakery, felt familiar...homey. The icing was a bit too thick for me, very sweet, so I scrapped some off to the side. The cake tasted homemade for sure (and I was told the recipe belonged to the owner's grandmother). Yes, I could imagine being in Grandma's kitchen with a glass of milk and fresh out of the oven cupcakes. The cupcake was neither too dry nor too moist and quite dense. It was definately different. The best part was on top, and I was informed the little candy-like beads are called Crisp Pearls and come from Belgium. Let me tell you, these little pearls of delight gave character to this cupcake. I found myself pulling every little pearl out of the frosting I had smeared to the side. I was determined to eat every last one. I can say that when finished, I was happy I stopped in. Patty Cakes is a nice addition to Historic Downtown Grapevine. I just hope they add some coffee or hot tea to their menu soon. It's definately a spot I could hang out for a bit with a book if it's not crowded. I look forward to trying out their other sweets.

1 comment:

  1. Patty Cakes informed me that they sell hot tea, coffee and hot chocolate Sept-May. Can't wait to visit again in the cooler months!!!

    ReplyDelete