Tuesday, July 20, 2010

j.rae's

If you haven't been to Fort Worth lately, well, here's a reason to buckle up and head out...j.rae's! I discovered j.rae's last summer and have visited several times in the past year. It is, without a doubt, one of the best bakeries in the DFW area! This recent visit to j.rae's caught me by surprise when I discovered the once stark but sleek ambience had been hit with pizazz...as in hot pink, green and black. Wow! Black stripes now lined the once white wall behind the dessert showcase. Yet, the three large framed black and white pictures were still in place which depict what j.rae's is all about...Cupcakes, Cookies and Cheesecake. The back wall was now painted a hot pink with small square mirrors outlining the wall and two open door frames were still there to give you a small peek into where the magic of baking takes place.  High-back black leather sofas with green and pink pillows were up against the walls.  This is where employees sit at the decorating station to ice the cookies. I was in the mood for one of those thick cut-out cookies in the shape of something cute and represented summer. I glanced over the flowers, turtles and other shapes, but the sea turtle with green icing and a purple sugar circular swirl hypnotized me! The cookies range from $1.50 to around $5.00; my sea turtle was $3.50. Of course, no trip is complete without the purchase of my favorite, Pink Lemonade cupcake that is like no other ($2.50)! I love to enjoy my treats there in the bakery, so thank goodness for the ultra-chic seating area in front of the large window. I sat on the white leather sofa that had two small mirrored tables on each side, a black square table in the middle, and two nice chairs on each side of the coffee table. The girly petite chandelier still hung above this seating area, and two glittery photo albums now set on the table to show the work that makes up j.rae's.  I took my cookie out of the cellophane bag and bit into the thickness. Mmmm, just as I remembered. Moist, never over-baked or hard, sweet icing and just the right size to leave one completely satisfied! The Pink Lemonade cupcake is hands down THE BEST! I love the other flavors, don't get me wrong, and they are all worth trying, but you just can't go wrong with the tangy, sweet Pink Lemonade for summer. The cupcakes are so perfectly baked with just the right texture and moistness. I once had a friend with me on a j.rae's visit and made her taste a bite of my cupcake (she was dieting and refusing to taste until I broke a piece off) and with one taste, her eyes grew wide, and she let out an, "Oh. My. Gosh!" She quickly agreed that it was the best cupcake she had ever tasted. I have yet to try the cheesecake, but I've heard it does not disappoint.  Also, j.rae's has a chiller for purchasing sodas or water as well as a nice selection of herbal teas next to the chiller. Small napkins are available, but sorry to say, no forks. A baker's rack holds j.rae's logo t-shirts as well as children's aprons you can purchase. Need to pick up a card or birthday candles to add to your cupcake or cheesecake? No problem, you can find a variety of cute supplies at the end of the dessert counter. Also, while enjoying the oh-so-chic bakery, take a look at the cute black and white picture of the owner and her sister as kids posing with their play oven they received on a Christmas morning. The same little oven is setting on a rack below the picture giving the bakery a personal feel and soft touch.  Okay, so this blog is a bit on the lengthy side, but just as I love visiting this bakery, I love talking about it. Can't make it to Fort Worth? Well, you're in luck because you can order online! However, I really discourage this due to the fact that you will miss out on the experience of their fab atmosphere! So, get going...j'rae's is open Monday-Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment